The design solution resolved disparities in floor levels, uncohesive circulation patterns, and the formal discontinuity generated by an episodic history of expansion, while doubling the library's holding capacity. Two new entrances to the library are extensions of existing campus walkways, and the character of the exterior combines both the Gothic and Romanesque expression of surrounding buildings. The entire building is now pulled into a composition that suggests that it was built over time in a way that was compatible with the 1927 Collegiate Gothic Revival building.