The Kelsey Museum on the campus of the University of Michigan occupies Newberry Hall, built in 1888 – 1891. Built of polychromatic stone in the Richardsonian Romanesque style, and featuring a large stained glass window by Louis Comfort Tiffany, it is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The addition is a demure cubic volume aiming to be different yet subtle in its relationship to the existing building, addressing the variable needs of the user and the tightly knit, small scale, urban fabric of downtown Ann Arbor.