A programmatic imperative was that this new building houses the Department of Architecture's studios, support spaces, offices and the fine arts library as well as physically reflecting its role as one of an assemblage of additions. Building on this idea, the addition was designed to serve as a pedagogical study in the building arts; enclosing the courtyard created by the two modern additions to the original 1910 Lombardic Romanesque library, the new addition illustrates the thematic evolution of classical principles, as well as an underlying classicism found in much of modern architecture.