Stanhope Hall is Princeton's third oldest building, designed by architect Benjamin Henry Latrobe and built in 1803. It originally housed the college library, study halls and literary societies. In the years that followed, it variously held a geological collection, lecture rooms, administrative offices and the University's communications and security offices. Major structural stabilization work performed in the 1960s effectively removed all historic interior finishes. A comprehensive renovation prepared Stanhope Hall for its new role as home of the African American Studies program. Seminar rooms, faculty offices, a new elevator, an accessible entrance, and updated building systems were introduced: all new architectural features were given historically appropriate finishes.