The original 1920's wood-shingled building on the Gunnery campus that was chosen for the new performing arts facility had been used previously as a gymnasium, and more recently for storage. Extensive renovation and rehabilitation work, both interior and exterior, was required for conversion to theatrical and assembly uses. Special requirements in acoustical accommodation, lighting, and air distribution were necessary in view of the variety of performance types anticipated.