The Fourth Presbyterian Church of Chicago was originally designed by the noted Boston architect Ralph Adams Cram in association with Chicago architect Howard Van Doren Shaw in 1912. A renovation was necessary in order to remedy two major shortcomings in the existing facility: the lack of a clearly defined and accessible circulation system and the lack of a central gathering space. A new entrance off Michigan Avenue and a north-south corridor addition at Chestnut Street, both designed with sensitivity to the existing architectural context, provide fully accessible and easily identifiable means of entry and direct internal circulation paths to all major public zones.